A few days ago we posted a blog about Mindful Eating and how to make it a part of Healthy Weight Week. When most people think about being healthy, they tend to visualize exercising. However, there are many ways to help your body to stay fit and healthy. During Healthy Weight Week we encourage people to create a sustainable and realistic healthy lifestyle through feeling good about themselves and living actively.
During this week along with exercising incorporate Mindful Eating. Below are an additional 5 suggestions to help support your health and build a sustainable relationship with food.
1. Eat Sitting Down: Before eating a single bite, sit down. Sitting as you eat causes you to pay more attention to your food as well as your food portions.
2. Portion Size Matters: Make a cup with one hand. That should be the portion size of each item on your plate. We encourage you to eat your food slow and savor it.
3. Make a Decision: Before putting a morsel in your mouth, decide what you want to eat. We all have been guilty of eating the first thing we put our hands on just to be left feeling unsatisfied. To make the correct meal choice, think of these 2 things: How will I feel as I eat it? How will I feel after I eat it?
4. Balanced Meals are Key: Your meals should consist of protein foods, vegetables/fruits, and grains/starch. Ex: grilled chicken, broccoli, and mashed potatoes.
5. Enjoy a Variety of Foods: You can become bored with food when you eat the same thing day in and day out. Therefore, during Healthy Weight Week, we suggest that you try eating a new food each day. You may discover that your food satisfaction level increases.